Al Rashid Mosque in Edmonton - Canada
Al-Rashid Mosque was the first mosque built in Canada. It was constructed in Edmonton, Alberta. Al-Rashid Mosque was expected to be the first mosque in North America but was built in 1938 just after the Mother Mosque of America in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and several years after the 1929 mosque built in Ross, North Dakota. At the time there were about 700 Muslims in Canada. Lila Fahlman, founder of the Canadian Council of Muslim Women, was the first to talk to Edmonton mayor John Fry about purchasing land to construct the mosque.
The mosque was built by Ukranian-Canadian contractor Mike Drewoth in a style resembling Orthodox churches and opened on December 12, 1938. In the 1940s the building was relocated from its original site to a location a few blocks away to make room for a school expansion. By the 1980s the mosque been outgrown by the booming Muslim community and had fallen into disrepair, and the city, which owned the land on which it was located, was contemplating demolition of the site to expand a hospital. But in 1991 it was decided to move the mosque to Fort Edmonton Park at a cost of $75,000. About a year later on May 28, 1992 it was reopened in the park.;
Address: Al Rashid Mosque
River Valley Whitemud, Edmonton,
Map for Al Rashid Mosque
Share and Enjoy