Hajjah Fatimah Mosque in Kallang - Singapore
Masjid Hajjah Fatimah (Malay for Hajjah Fatimah Mosque; Chinese: 哈贾•法蒂玛回教堂) is a mosque located along Beach Road in the Kampong Glam district within the Kallang Planning Area in Singapore. The mosque was completed in 1846. The mosque represented a mix of local Islamic and European architecture, having been designed by colonial architect John Turnbull Thomson. The mosque was named after a lady of the same name, who was a wealthy donor to the building.
Named after an aristocratic Malay woman, Masjid Hajjah Fatimah was built in 1845–1846. The mosque was built on the site of Hajjah Fatimah's former house at Java Road. In the late 1830s, this house was broken into twice and, on the second occasion,it was set on fire.
Enclosed by a high wall, Masjid Hajjah Fatimah's compound comprises a prayer hall, a mausoleum, the quarters of an Imam, an ablution area, several annexes and a garden. Perhaps its most unusual feature is a distinctive minaret designed by an unidentified European architect. The tower leans about six degrees off centre.
Skewed from the street grid to face Mecca, the prayer hall is surrounded by verandahs on three sides. The hall was re-designed in the 1930s by architects Chung & Wong and the design was executed by French contractors Bossard & Mopin. Five bays form the building façade; the largest central one, flanked by miniature minarets, is the entrance.
Rising behind the façade is a large onion dome with 12 lancet windows, each with yellow and green stained glass. Sixteen ribbed sections form the sphere of the dome and can be seen inside the prayer hall.;
Address: Hajjah Fatimah Mosque
4001 Beach Rd, Singapore
Map for Hajjah Fatimah Mosque
Share and Enjoy