Longgang Mosque in Zhongli - Taiwan
Longgang Mosque (Chinese: 龍岡清真寺; pinyin: Lónggāng Qīngzhēnsì) is located on Longdong Street in Zhongli City, Taoyuan County, Taiwan. It is the fifth mosque to be built in Taiwan.
In 1953, the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution condemning the Taipei government for its actions and guerilla warfare inside Burma. Finally, an agreement was reached between Taipei, Rangoon, and Bangkok for evacuation of all Kuomintang Irregular forces under command of General Li Mi to Taiwan. Civil Air Transport transported 5,583 Kuomintang soldiers and 1,040 dependents to Taiwan. The majority of these guerrilla forces were Muslim and had no place to worship in their new Taiwan home and so they founded a mosque in 1964.
At first, the mosque was very small, but after joining the Chinese Muslim Association, they were able to raise money, including funds from Saudi Arabia. They purchased a plot of land in Zhongli and the mosque was completed after three years. The mosque’s main worship area can hold 150 worshipers. The building also includes a kitchen, dormitory, and shower room. The current Imam is Abdullah Liu (traditional Chinese: 柳根榮; simplified Chinese: 柳根荣; pinyin: Liǔ Gēnróng).
Over the time, due to the poor materials used to construct the building because of lack of funds, the mosque quickly deteriorated. After some discussion, a plan to reconstruct the mosque was finally put in place. With financial assistance from inside and outside Taiwan, the first reconstruction project for the mosque began in March 1988 and was completed in January 1989. And in 1995, the second reconstruction was completed again resulting in the mosque in use today.;
Address = Longgang Mosque in Zhongli
Peach Co.216, Lungdwrg Rd.
Jungli City, Taoyuan, Taoyuan.
map for Longgang Mosque in Zhongli
Share and Enjoy