Al Shuaibiyah Mosque in Aleppo - Syria
Al-Shuaibiyah Mosque (Arabic: جامع الشعيبية) also known as al-Omari (الجامع العمري), al-Tuteh (جامع التوتة) and al-Atras mosque (جامع الأتراس), is the oldest mosque in Aleppo, Syria. Built in 637, it is one of the oldest mosques in the Levant. It is located in the western part of the Ancient City of Aleppo, within the historic walls of the city, near the Gate of Antioch
After the fall of Aleppo to the Arabs under Abu Ubaidah ibn al Jarrah in 637, the Al-Shuaibiyah Mosque was built near the gate of Antioch, absorbing the ancient Roman triumphal arch which once marked the beginning of the decumanus.
The mosque was entirely renovated in 1146 and 1401. It is known for its decorated façade where many 12th-century kufic inscriptions could be found. The rectangular short minaret reflects the earliest designs in the history of Islamic architecture.
During the modern era, the mosque was renovated in 1980 and 1990;
map for Al-Shuaibiyah Mosque Aleppo
Share and Enjoy